Thursday, May 18, 2017

Music is my Religion

"Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional... it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it" -Anonymous
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have no idea where I would be right now if it wasn't for music. Music is my religion. My painkiller. It's the medicine to the mind. I absolutely love it. The idea of music is amazing itself. Although I love music there are always these three songs that really get to me. The reason why is because they always bring back these special memories that I could never forget. It's like I'm reliving exactly what I would do when I would listen to the songs. It's nice to know that I have an escape from the real world and I can go back to when I was little happy Emily. 

The first song that really gets me in the feelings is Strawberry Swing by Coldplay 
I absolutely love this song! My dad used to play this song every morning when I was 7 years old. It was the summer going into third grade and I would go to summer camp from Monday to Friday. He'd drive me to summer camp every day and we would listen to the song every morning together. Listening to this song makes me think of how happy I was back then. I remember being so little, never had a worry in the world. When I think of this song it makes me want to go back in time and relive all my happy moments. It just gets me really emotional.

The second song that really gets to me is Show Me Love by Robin Schulz
I kid you not, I know every single word to this song. I will literally break out dancing if I hear this song. It doesn't matter where I am or who I'm with, I will dance. Back in elementary school I would wake up to this song every morning by my beloved mother. She just really likes her house music. It didn't matter if her kids were sleeping. If she needed to jam out, she'd jam out. This song just really reminds me of all the mornings I spent getting ready for school with my mom and sister. I also have memories of both my mom and sister being silly and all of us dancing together. I feel safe when I hear this song. I could always rely on it to make me happy again. I love it. It will always have an affect on me and it will always be a part of me.

The last song that makes me want to burst into tears is 1234 by Feist
I remember the first time I listened to this song. I was still living in my old apartment with both my mom and my dad. I heard my dad singing this song in the kitchen and I wanted to listen to it. May I remind you that this was before iPhones were out. My dad brought me his iPod touch and I watched and listened to the music video with him. I became absolutely obsessed with the song. I would always watch the video on his iPod and I'd always make him song it to me. I will be honest and say that I stopped listening to it and forogot all about it. Last weekend I was at my dads house and all of a sudden he started to play this song on his chrome cast. I am not lying when I say this but, I cried. I cried my eyes out because this song just made me so happy. It has such a positive impact of my life and it reminded me of all the times I was little and asked him to sing to me. I cried because it made me feel like I was a little girl again.


1 comment:

  1. I can relate on so many levels with you. Music is the best kid of medicine out there. I love how you have songs that can take you back in time to some good memories.

    ReplyDelete